1. La Paz - Curahuara de Carangas - Sajama
Seeing that we have a long day in front of us we want to make sure we leave around 08h00. We drive south along the Altiplano to the village of Patacamaya from where we turn west towards Sajama. From Patacamaya we can already see the snow clad summit of the Sajama that guides us on this international road between La Paz and Arica. After some hundred kilometres we discover the Chullpares - ancient Aymara funerary tower, constructed in adobe. A couple of kilometres before arriving at the village of Sajama we’ll visit the small village of Curahuara de Carangas. This village is well known for its perfectly preserved 16th century church that is constructed in adobe and entirely painted in that periods natural paint. We then continue to the lonely village Sajama. From the tarmac road that runs all the way to the Chilean border we turn left onto a bumpy track that takes us into the Sajama National Park, where we spend the night in a shelter.
2. Sajama National Park: Geyser – Laguna Kasiri Kota – Laguna Chiar Khota
After breakfast a car will bring us to the geothermal fields at 4397m/14.426ft. This impressive part of the park, hundreds of meters in diameter, is filled with boiling geysers and we can try and boil a few eggs for our lunch! Before we start our trek we can climb to the Huallaqueri viewpoint (4410m/14.469ft), which offers a panoramic view of the Sajama National Park. We hike slowly along the valley to the Laguna Kasiri Kota (5050m/16.568ft) and from here we continue to the Laguna Chiar Khota where we set up camp.
3. Sajama National Park: Laguna Chiar Khota - Thermal Springs
Our trek through the park continues. After breakfast we head towards the thermal springs. Don’t forget your bathing suit because we can swim in these springs that are between 37°-43°C/98.6°-109.4°F..…and that at over 4000m/13.123ft!! During our hike we can observe the vicuñas, alpacas and ñandus (Andean ostrich) before we arrive at the thermal springs in the afternoon. We set up camp near the springs.
4. Sajama National Park: Thermal Springs - Laguna Huaña Kota - Caripe - La Paz
From the thermal springs we head towards the Laguna Huaña Khota after breakfast. At the lake we can observe pink flamingos, ducks and wild geese. We continue our trek at the foot of the stratovolcano to the village Tomarapi (4-5h) and after lunch we hike to Caripe From here a car brings us back to La Paz, where we arrive in the evening.
End of our services
IMPORTANT: Itinerary can change as a result of weather conditions and some sights are not accessible at all times – Lipiko Tours cannot be held responsible for any changes in itinerary and sights not visited as a result.
High altitude trek
High altitude trek
Tent (2 people per tent)
In approx. 3600m/11.810ft
West Cordillera and Sajama National park
Specialised Spanish or English speaking guide depending on chosen option
2 nights in tent (2 people per tent) and 1 night in shelter
Attention: No possibility for single tent during this tour
from 2 people
2 to 8 people
Your luggage will most likely be carried by mules or in some cases porters. Your personal equipment should not exceed 10kg/22lb. You will have to carry the personal equipment you need during the day.
Included in the price:
- Transfers and transport as indicated in the day to day program
- Private trek with local Spanish speaking guide or local English speaking guide (depending on availability Spanish speaking guide and English speaking translator) depending on chosen option
- Collective camping equipment
- Meals mentioned
Nicht im Preis inbegriffen:
- Obligatory personal travel insurance
- Entrance fees to parks, sites and museums (allow for approx. 50 Bs, Bolivian national currency - this is an estimate and actual prices may vary)
- Meals not mentioned, tips, drinks and other personal expenses
- Personal equipment
- Accommodation not mentioned